Scope and policy
The magazine will not receive articles that do not fulfill satisfactorily with the procedure established here.
" Biotechnology in the Agricultural and Agro industrial Sector " will publish preferably, articles related to the biotechnology in the agrarian and agro industrial sector, but taking into account its institutional and regional location, it will contemplate publications related to other elements of the agrarian and agro industrial sector too, for example:
The magazine is opened for models and diverse perspectives, explaining studies by complementary methodologies, providing that they fulfill a few needed minimal systematic requirements.
2. Theoretical offers and / or methodological advances.
They must be important, relevant and suggestive for the professionals of the agrarian and agro industrial area.
They should present results of investigations carried out with an author's analytical, interpretive or critical intention, about a certain subject matter, in which one has resorted to review the original sources.
4. Report of case.
Documents in which appear the results of a study about a specific and certain situation, which basic aim is announcing the technical and methodological experiences, considered in a particular case. There must be included a systematic review commented on similar cases.
5. Review of a topic or synthesis.
It will expose the condition of the situation in some of the interest areas of the magazine. It looks for the magazine will be a useful instrument for updating the investigators and students. It is necessary that the text will be a product of the critical review and that it will be very well documented literature, about a specific topic.
6. Letters to the publisher.
In these letters it will be exposed the critical positions, the analysis or the interpretation about the documents published in the magazine, only if the publishing committee defines it as an important contribution to the discussion of the topic to the reference scientific community.
7. Publishing house.
It is a Document written by the publisher, a member of the publishing committee or an invited investigator, in whom they exposed: Orientations in the topic of the magazine. Contributions to the investigators related with presentation features and structure of their articles. Think about the presentation of written documents, their rules, their importance and others.
8. News / point of sight.
It refers to scientific current affairs, academic and scientific events, trade-union politics, curricular notes, opinions and comments, bibliographical reviews and biographical sketches. Attention: it will not be published articles that express exclusively opinions, anecdotes or not based interpretations.
Form and preparation of manuscripts
Any text sent to BIOTECHNOLOGY IN THE AGRICULTURAL AND AGROINDUSTRIAL SECTOR must fulfill with the following standards:
1. Originality, the contribution must be totally unpublished, not published everything or partly in no other publication, except very well-taken cases.
2. Methodological sustainable, where it becomes evident the use of methods and technologies of valid investigation.
3. Significance of the matter that informs or illuminates relevant questions in the Agricultural and Agro industrial sector.
4.The Impact that it might predict to a wide sector of the academy, the investigation and students.
5.Advance of the land, in which the contribution is clear and evident to considerations and practices of improvement in the Agricultural and Agro industrial field of investigation.
6. Ethical considerations.
7. The extension of the articles must be minimum five (5) pages and maximum of eleven (11) pages, letter size (21,59 cm of width and 27,94 cm of high place), it must be written with a simple interlineal space and his content in double column (measure of the column 7,5 cm), straight Arial letter of 11 points, margins of 3 cm in the top edge, 2 cm in the low one and 2,5 cm in the lateral margins. The foot notes must be written by 8 points Arial letter and they must be justified to the left margin, in the low part.
8. The composition style must be Clear, concise and tidy; personal slangs and local expressions will be avoided.
9. The articles of scientific, technological investigation and of report of case must fulfill with the following structure: The Introduction must highlight the importance of the investigation, it must present the related literature and it is necessary deliver the precedents to understand the hypothesis of the authors; it is necessary ending with a paragraph that indicates clearly the aims of the investigation. The method must have enough information that allows to another investigator to repeat the test and to achieve the same results; the experimental design and the statistical analysis must remain clearly established
The results must appear in clear form with his respective analyses; one recommends to support them with pictures and figures, and with the corresponding statistical analysis, and the precedents of other investigators. The conclusions must be written in agreement by the aims of the investigation, equally they must explain in clear terms the principal results of the investigation. It is recommended to clarify if the results do not have implications.
10.The reflection articles that present results of investigations executed on a certain subject matter, must demonstrate at least one of the following aspects:
a) An analytical intention.
11. The basic structure of a reflection article is: Summarize (Abstract), Introduction, Development of the topic, Conclusions, Bibliography (minimum 12 references).
12. The review articles are the result of a finished investigation, they must expire with the following characteristics:
a) It is necessary to analyze, systematize and integrate the results of published or not published investigations, on a science or technology field, in order to realize of the advances and the development trends.
13. The basic structure of an review article is: Summarize (Abstract), Introduction, Development of the topic, Conclusions, Bibliography (minimum 50 references).
14. The title of the article must refer to the content of a clear and concise form, it must be written in capital letter and centered, on bold face and without numeration, it must not exceed 15 words; if it is not possible, it will have to include a subtitle. It must be written in capital letter and include a translation of the title in English and Portuguese. The name of the author or authors must go under the title in capital letter and include the first and second name if it has it and the first surname, centered.
The authors are named in accordance with the importance of his contribution to the investigation or in the preparation of the article. The footnote will be indicated respectively the academic titles, the Institution which it belongs and the e-mail who is chosen to send the correspondence.
15. The summary must be a concise writing in SPANISH, PORTUGUESE and ENGLISH (ABSTRACT), in only one paragraph without exceeding 200 words. It will include the justification, aims, methodology, precise results and conclusions of the investigation do emphasis in the reached achievements, and in addition it will indicate the limits of the validity and the implications of the results. The content of the summary must be justified to both sides, under the title. The titles SUMMARIZE, I SUMMARIZE and ABSTRACT must be located to the left margin, in capital letters and writing in bold face. Under the same one, to space and a half there must go minimum three (3) and maximum of eight (8) key words, which title must go in capital letter, in Spanish (key Words), Portuguese (Termos de indexação) and English (keywords) with two points, everything in bold face and justified. The words must be located next to the title with one space; the first letter of the first word must go in capital letter, the rest of the words in lower-case letter all of them justified.
16. The pictures, tables and figures will have to be processed as "objects" (to facilitate the diagramming of the magazine) with the program that you prefer. It is suggested to send them in black and white or tones of grey, avoiding the polychromy. If the text includes photographies, his presentation is recommended in black and white, mate, with a good contrast.
17. The bibliographical references must be located at the end of the article (Space and a half of the end of the article) in the respective columns. They must go enumerated in accordance with the order of quotes appearance in the text they must go closed with brackets and they must be structured in this way:
Articles of magazines:
ALIEN, J. S., SAMUELSON, R. and NEWBERGER, A. Chaos in a model offorced quasi-geostrophic flow over topography: an application of Melinkov's method, J. Fluid Mech., 226, 511-547, 1991.
BAKER, G. L. and GOLUB, J., Chaotíc Dynamics: An introduction, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1990.
Chapter of book:
LEWIS, P., RAY, B. and STEVENS, J.G. Modeling steals series by using Multivariate Adaptive Regression Spiines (MARS), In: Swindle Seríes Prediction: Future Forecasting the and Understanding the Past (Eds. A.S.Weigend and N. A. Gershenfeid), SFI Studies in the Science of Complexity, Proc. Vol. The XVth, Addison-Wesley, 297-318, 1994.
Memories of congresses:
RAISE, N., BOATMAN, T. and STRAP, D. Title of the Presentation. Memories the XIXth Latin-American Congress. Córdoba, Argentina, Tomo II, 219-228, Octubre 2000.
Report of an organism or Government:
U.S. EPA. Status of Pesticides in Registration and Special Review. EPA 738-R-94-008. Washington, DC:Ü.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1994 Thesis:JACOBS J. Regulation of Life History Strategies within Individuais in Predictable and Unpredictable Environments [PhD Thesis]. Seattie, WA: University of Washington, 1996.
NOAA-CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center. Advancing Understanding and Predictions of Climate Variability. Available: http://www.cdc.noaa.gov [mentioned On August 8, 1998].
Not published information:
I name, N. Not published information
I name, N. Personal communication
a) Author (s) must place in capital letter. After you write the author it is necessary put a period.
b) Title: it writes after the author’s period, it separates from this one with two spaces. The first letter of the title must be placed in capital letter, as well as that Proper names, institutions or in the cases that the language establishes it.
c) Subtitle: it must be placed after the title, it goes separated from this one by one space, two points, one space, and concludes with a period.
d) Number of the edition: it must be placed after the period of the title or of the subtitle if there is one, separated it by two spaces, and it must be write with Arabic numbers and followed by the abbreviation.
e) Imprint: they need the following elements, they must be written in the same order, after a period and with two spaces after the edition abbreviation: Place of the publication (followed by two points); Name of the publisher or the press if the publisher doesn't exist (followed by comma); Year of publication (followed by point).
f) Pagination: The pagination is written in Arabic numbers and it separates from the year of publication by a period and two spaces. It covers the total number of pages, the total number of volumes, or only the pages or consulted volumes.
g) Series or collection: When the document forms a part of a series or collection the mention he places in brackets, separated from the title for a point and two spaces like that: number of the book, leaflet or report inside the series, in Arabic numbers preceded by the abbreviation not., written with small letters and separated from the title for a space, point and comma (;) and a space.
Reports of co-authorship
Sending of manuscripts
The offers must be sent to:
University of the Cauca, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences located in "Las Guacas" (The Caches), Popayan, The Magazine of Biotechnology in the Agricultural and Agro industrial Sector, with a letter directed to the publisher's magazine, Ph. D. Hector Samuel Villada Castillo, in which it certifies that all the authors of the work agree to submit the article to consideration. In addition, in the letter must be included the personal information of each one of the authors, like: nationality, education, e-mail, telephones for his location or email and institutional filiations, or in its absence, the direction of the web page where they can be consulted.
The letter of introduction of the articles can be sent by e-mail and must be signed by all the authors of the article and if there are some reasons that become it impossible, it will be enough with an e-mail from the author of the magazine confirms his participation both in the original article and in the corrected article according to the observations of the couples assessors. It is to indicate that the article only will be submitted to evaluation in this magazine and not in other one (s) of the same way.
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial Board] [Subscription]
Universidad del Cauca
Calle 5 No. 4-70
Teléfonos: (57-2) 824 5976 - 824 5978