SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.69 issue2Validation of an instrument to measure adherence to orthodontic treatment provided in dental clinics of dentistry schoolsTherapeutic effect of two muscle strengthening programs in patients with patellofemoral pain syndrome. A randomized controlled clinical trial author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google


Revista de la Facultad de Medicina

Print version ISSN 0120-0011


PAULO, José David; HURTADO, Luis Santiago; DONADO-GOMEZ, Jorge Hernando  and  GONZALEZ LOPERA, Natalia. Characterization of ocular biometric parameters in Colombian candidates for cataract surgery. [online]. 2021, vol.69, n.2, e207.  Epub July 08, 2021. ISSN 0120-0011.


Intraocular lens (IOL) power calculation, based on ocular biometry, is a determinant for the success of cataract surgery.


To characterize the ocular biometric parameters of Colombian patients over 40 years of age who are candidates for cataract surgery and to determine the prevalence of the 9 clinical conditions proposed by Holladay according to the interaction between axial length (AL) and anterior chamber depth (ACD).

Materials and methods:

Analytical cross-sectional study. The ocular biometry results of 781 patients (831 eyes) who were going to be taken to cataract surgery between January 2014 and January 2015 in Medellín, Colombia, were reviewed. After applying exclusion criteria, 716 eyes were included for analysis. Data on age, sex, AL, keratometry (flat keratometry (K1) and steep keratometry (K2)), ACD and white-to-white distance were collected. Results are presented using descriptive statistics.


Most eyes were from women (62.3%). The mean values of AL, K1 and ACD were 23.37±1.51mm, 43.52±2.06 and 3.03mm±0.41, respectively. Mean AL in men was 23.62±1.37mm, and in women, 23.21±1.67mm. The highest mean AL was observed in patients <50 years old (23.84±2.41) and the lowest in patients ≥80 years old (22.96±1.03 mm). Regarding eye size according to their AL, 90.5% were normal, 4.89% long, and 4.61% short.


85% of the participants had normal biometric parameters. For the remaining 15%, it is necessary to take some precautions when calculating IOL power, such as using fourth-generation formulas like Holladay 2 in long eyes, because the same refractive behavior will not be obtained using traditional prediction formulas in these patients. Furthermore, according to the Holladay classification, excluding normal eyes, the most frequent eyes were those with myopia and axial hyperopia.

Keywords : Biometry; Cataract; Astigmatism; Axial Length, Eye; Lenses, Intraocular; Cataract Extraction (MeSH).

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in English     · English ( pdf )