Revista Colombiana de Ciencias Pecuarias
versión impresa ISSN 0120-0690
PELLIZA, Bibiana R et al. Evolution of injuries in the limbs of suckling piglets. Rev Colom Cienc Pecua [online]. 2007, vol.20, n.3, pp. 312-317. ISSN 0120-0690.
The purpose of this work was to study the prevalence, evolution and type of lesions occurring in the front and back legs of 3142 suckling piglets from 5 to 27 days of age, also classifying ithem according to age and anatomical region. From the total 3142 piglets, 249 (7.92%) did not have any visible lesions. In the other 2893 (92.08%) piglets, a total of 8415 different lesions were observed. Over this total, an amount of 3869 (46%) piglets showed fibrosis, 4314 (51.20%) had different type of injuries and 232(2.8%) presented arthritis. Over the total of 8415 lesions, 5165 (61.4%), 737 (80.8%), and 2513 (29.9%) had lesions on the carpus, tarsus and hoofs, respectively. Injuries represented 73.8% of the total lesions in 5 to 9 days old piglets, which evolved either towards fibrosis or arthritis. Fibrosis was the product of evolution on lesions mainly in the carpus, whereas arthritis evolved mainly in the tarsus.
Palabras llave : arthritis; carpus; confinement; injury; pigglets; tarsus.