SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.34 issue3Impersonal Care or Humanized Care: a Decision Made by Nurses? Hourglass ModelEffectiveness of an Educational Program on Childhood Tuberculosis Supported on Information and Communication Technologies Aimed at Community Mothers from Cartagena author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google


Investigación y Educación en Enfermería

Print version ISSN 0120-5307On-line version ISSN 2216-0280


DUQUE-HENAO, Sandra Lorena  and  ECHEVERRI-MONTOYA, María Jimena. Evaluation of the Care Safety of Patients with Surgical Interventions from a High-Complexity Institution in Medellín, Colombia. Invest. educ. enferm [online]. 2016, vol.34, n.3, pp.456-464. ISSN 0120-5307.


This work sought to evaluate care safety of patients with surgical interventions in the area of general surgery in terms of administrative problems in caring, incidents, and adverse events.


This was an observational-type prospective descriptive study that followed up patients intervened surgically by the general surgery group of a tier IV hospital unit in the city of Medellín.


The study evaluated 182 patients who received complete follow up during the care process in the institution; of these, 59 (32.4%) received unsafe care (10 incidents, 9 problems with quality, and 40 adverse events); the remaining 123 (67.6%) had safe care of which, 28 developed complications in spite of not having had flaws in the care process. Regarding the health professionals responsible for patient care, we found that 57.4% of the adverse events was the responsibility of the treating physician and the remaining 42.6% was the responsibility of the nursing staff.


The prevalence of adverse surgical events in this study was above that found in literature. Management of nursing care focused on improving the healthcare system in the area of surgery could reduce substantially not only the occurrence of flaw in caring, but also the economic burden upon the healthcare system.

Keywords : patient safety; health care facilities; health personnel; hospital units; patient care..

        · abstract in Portuguese | Spanish     · text in English | Spanish     · English ( pdf )