SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.14 issue4Treatment of abdominal aorta and iliac arteries with endovascular techniqueHydromechanical evaluation of bovine jugular veins fixed in glutaldehyde for its use as cardiovascular implant author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand

Article

Indicators

Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google

Share


Revista Colombiana de Cardiología

Print version ISSN 0120-5633

Abstract

ESCOBAR, Alejandro et al. Selective cerebral perfusion technique by subclavian approach for correction of aortic arch pathology. Rev. Col. Cardiol. [online]. 2007, vol.14, n.4, pp.232-237. ISSN 0120-5633.

Objective: describe and evaluate the subclavian perfusion technique for selective cerebral protection with moderate hypothermia. Methods: descriptive study of 19 patients to whom correction of the dissection or aneurysm of the aortic arch through the utilization of this technique was practiced. Results: between September 2002 and September 2005, 19 patients were operated. 68.4% were men with mean age 54.05 ± 13.53 years. 57.8% corresponded to aortic dissection type A; the remaining 42.2% had aneurysms in some portion of the aorta, with arch involvement. 73.7% had aortic valve insufficiency. 47.3% were in functional class I, 31.5% in class II and 21% in class III. 36.8% required coronary revascularization. Mean time of selective cerebral perfusion was 28.95 ± 8.73 minutes; systemic perfusion was 163.31 ± 32.15 minutes; aortic clamping was 135.36 ± 34.48 minutes and mean temperature was 27.66º ± 0.94ºC. There were 3 deaths. No definitive neurological complications were found. Conclusions: this technique may be standardized for elective or emergent surgeries. It is a simple reproducible technique that allows more prolonged periods of time for the reconstruction of the aortic arch without producing cerebral ischemia; the extracorporeal circulation times are shorter, there are few bleeding complications, there is a decrease of cerebral anterograde embolism, and an excellent neurological result.

Keywords : anterograde perfusion; subclavian canula; reconstruction of aortic arch.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )

 

Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License