SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.21 issue4 author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand

Article

Indicators

Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google

Share


Revista Colombiana de Cardiología

Print version ISSN 0120-5633

Abstract

CARVAJAL, Luis F et al. Embolization of collateral vessels in children with congenital heart disease. Experience in a cardiovascular center. Rev. Colomb. Cardiol. [online]. 2014, vol.21, n.4, pp.266-271. ISSN 0120-5633.  http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rccar.2013.05.001.

Objective: To perform a descriptive analysis of patients who underwent percutaneous embolization of collateral vessels. Materials and methods: We reviewed the medical records of 27 patients between February 2004 and March 2012, and made a description of the variables analyzed. Results:In the period described, percutaneous embolization of 33 collateral vessels was performed in 27 patients. The mean age at the time of the procedure was 53 months (1-143 months). 68% had previously undergone Glenn or Fontan surgery, 8% Blalock-Taussig shunt and 24% other surgical procedures. In 76% of cases the vessel embolized was a venovenous collateral and in the remaining 24% an aortopulmonary collateral. Mechanical devices were most commonly used (coils and vascular plug). The Amplatzer Vascular Plug was used to embolize larger collateral vessels. Immediate occlusion was obtained in 92% of cases. There was no mortality associated with the procedures. Discussion and conclusions: Percutaneous embolization is a safe procedure with high success rate. The devices used were shown to be equally effective.

Keywords : Embolization; Vascular malformations; Congenital heart disease; Cardiac catheterization.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )