SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.70 issue3Characterization and typification of coffee production systems (Coffea arabica L.), Andes municipality author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand

Article

Indicators

Related links

  • On index processCited by Google
  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO
  • On index processSimilars in Google

Share


Revista Facultad Nacional de Agronomía Medellín

Print version ISSN 0304-2847

Abstract

JARAMILLO OTALVARO, Sergio Emilio; OSORIO SARAZ, Jairo Alexander  and  CORREA LONDONO, Guillermo Antonio. Emission and fixation of greenhouse gases in potential specialty coffee production zones in Antioquia -Colombia. Rev. Fac. Nac. Agron. Medellín [online]. 2017, vol.70, n.3, pp.8341-8349. ISSN 0304-2847.  http://dx.doi.org/10.15446/rfna.v70n3.62639.

The aim of this work was to estimate the greenhouse gas (GHG) emission and fixation balance in potential specialty coffee production zones in the department of Antioquia, Colombia. It were used the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - IPCC methods in this research. The results showed an average of 1.068 kg CO2 fixed per kg of produced coffee cherry. The fixation and emission balance was positive for 0.271 kg CO2e per kg of coffee cherry. The total GHG emission was 0.816 kg CO2e per kg of coffee cherry. The emissions from loss of carbon from soil organic matter, organic matter incorporation and coffee leaf litter decomposition were 84.3% of total emissions, and the remaining 15.7% resulted from emissions from nitrogen fertilization. In the balance between emission and fixation in the evaluated zones, Giraldo´s center had the best at 0.5751 kilograms CO2e per kg of coffee cherry.

Keywords : Specialty coffee Biomass; Greenhouse gases; Global warming; Methane..

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in English     · English ( pdf )