On-line version ISSN 1657-9534
MATTAR, Salim; PARRA, Miguel and TORRES, José. Limitations for the serodiagnosis of the West of the Nile virus infection in endemic zones with co-circulation of Flavivirus in the Colombian Caribbean area. Colomb. Med. [online]. 2005, vol.36, n.3, pp. 179-185. ISSN 1657-9534.
INTRODUCTION: This is the first sero-epidemiologic approximation done in Colombia about West Nile virus (WNV). OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to detect IgG antibodies against WNV in a population by using two commercial tests and to establish its utility in our medium. MATERIALS AND METHODS: It was analyzed by random way 52 serum samples of people whom worked in agricultural practices 15 years ago in the department of Sucre. The technique West Nile Virus IgG ELISA (Focus Technologies) was used. Furthermore, the test IFA (PANBIO Columbia, Arbovirus IgG- IFA slides) which detect antibodies against five antigens (equine encephalitis, Japanese encephalitis, yellow fever and dengue) was hence used. With ELISA test of 52 serum samples studied for the detection of antibodies against WNV, 38 (73%) were positive, the remaining 14 (27%) were negatives. With IFA test, 6 sera (11.5%) showed weak seropositive reaction, 46 (88.5%) were seronegatives for the detection of antibodies against the WNV. By using IFA different cross reactions were observed against other arbovirus as dengue, Venezuelan encephalitis, Japanese encephalitis and yellow fever. The study showed the complexity of the serodiagnostic of the Flavivirus in the endemic zones as the Caribbean Colombian area. CONCLUSION: The results obtained in this study show that the tests of ELISA and IFA are not of diagnostic utility against the WNV in Colombia , or at least in the zones where Flavivirus are actually in circulation as dengue, yellow fever or equine encephalitis.
Keywords : West Nile Virus; Colombia; Serodiagnostic; Cross reaction; Flavivirus.