Scope and policy
1. The Revista Colombiana de Cirugía (Colombian Journal of Surgery) is the official vehicle of communication of the Colombian Association of Surgery that publishes original papers on topics of general surgery and other topics of interest for the entire medical profession, including humanistic, social and economic subjects and others related to medical education.
Form and preparation of manuscripts
2. Papers must be unpublished and supplied exclusively to the Colombian Journal of Surgery in printed and digital form (e-mail, CD or diskette).
Sending of manuscripts
3. Every submission must include a letter from the principal authors, stating
4. The papers must be prepared in accordance with the standards of the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) as defined in the standard requirements for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals, available at http://www.icmje.org. All abbreviated journal names must be cited as they appear in the Index Medicus.
5. Manuscripts must adjust to the grammar rules of the Spanish language and to the correct technical and scientific terms. Only internationally recognized standard abbreviations must be used, but their use must be avoided in the title and the summary. The complete term for which an abbreviation is established must appear before the abbreviation is used for the first time in the text, unless it is a standard international measurement unit. Units of the international weights and measurement system must be used for all numbers cited in the manuscript. Authors are advised to submit their papers to a professional copyeditor before submitting them for publication in the Revista Colombiana de Cirugía.
6. Authors must submit a printed copy of the manuscript on letter-size
white paper, printed on one side with 2.5 cm top and bottom margins and
3 cm side margins. The manuscript must not be more than 30 pages long.
Pages must be numbered on the upper right hand corner. We recommend the
use of the Microsoft Office software for text and tables. The entire text
must be written in Arial 12, with double spacing and no justification.
8. The manuscript must include the following sections:
9. Bibliographic references must be numbered in brackets in the order in which they appear in the text. In cases of review articles, the name of the author and the year may be used in brackets instead of the number. In such a case, the list of references included at the end of the text must appear in alphabetical order.
10. References must be quoted in accordance with the Vancouver standards. Some examples are shown below:
a) Articles in journals in English or other languages different from
Spanish: Turner RR, Giuliano AE, Hoon DSB, et al. Pathologic examination
of sentinel lymph node for breast carcinoma. World J Surg. 2001;25:798-805.
11. Bibliographic references must include articles by Colombian and Latin-American authors. Several databases are available as sources of information. These include: SIBRA/Colombia by FEPAFEM, and Publindex by Colciencias for Colombian literature, and SciELO by BIREME and IMBIOMED for Latin-American and Caribbean literature. The Editorial Committee of the Revista Colombiana de Cirugía may consider exclusion of Colombian and Latin-American authors as a reason for rejecting the manuscript.
12. The Editorial Committee may consider certain submissions as editorials on current topics or as important comments on papers that are especially relevant; contributions to the section on letters to the editor are also accepted in the form of short comments on papers published in previous issues or on topics of current interest.
13. The Revista Colombiana de Cirugía takes no responsibility for the ideas presented by the authors, who are solely responsible for them.
14. All submissions must be sent to the members of the Editorial Committee
or to external reviewers who act as arbitrators, so that they can express
their opinions about the quality of the work and make the necessary observations
or recommendations for publication.
[Home] [About the journal] [Editorial Board] [Subscription]